PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reconfiguring Hard Disks
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2010, 15:11
Aeronut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reconfiguring Hard Disks

I built a PC and installed 2 x 320Gb hard disks. Not knowing much about this I had disk one for everything; operating system all programs and files (C: ), the other to simply mirror everything as a backup (E: ) (using Vista).

This was a superb feature since my last PC had only one HD!

Worked fine but I've now nearly filled up the first disk and hence the almost identical in content backup also.

I just installed a 1TB hard drive as a seperate drive (H: ) but dont know what to do with it.

I understand it might be good to have C: dedicated to the OS (Vista 64) and keep all files and programs on the other 320GB and use the 1TB as a backup?

Is there a good way to move the programs and files to E: from C: preferably without losing everything as I will be messing with my existing backup ?

I'm thinking that there are numerous program links all looking for C: addresses which will fail if I move programs to E: ? Not sure how to do this.
might be good for me to backup onto H before doing anything else?

The files move C: to E: would be a simple folders drag and drop job right?

The other concern I have is that even if I mirrored everything on the 2 x 320Gb drives my backup could only ever require 640Gb which will never fully utilise the 1TB.