PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The November 2007 Crash Of Atlas Jet Md83
Old 20th Feb 2010, 14:17
SLFinAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on the very limited info in the link I see some significant differences. The improperly maintained CVR & FDR can't be the true cause of the crash (potentially a system of a bigger set of problems). The article mentions this quote...

“Maybe instruments that had lost their precision transmitted the wrong information to the pilot, directing him to a point outside the runway,”

Clearly a statement with no standing in any court. I'd hope charges were based on some more complete understanding of what happened or on data compiled via other records.

My thoughts on the other thread point to a more callous disregard for prudent and reasonable SOP's readily evident to an "ordinary" 3rd party observer. At the end of the day (out side of all the potential other issues) to the old line about the guy meeting a doc at a party. Doc...if I move my arm this way...well don't move your arm that way.

No different then... it's a great plane but if a tire fails due to FOD its more then likely to damage the plane badly enough that it might crash....well then, don't let it hit anything laying on the runway.