PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poll: BALPA's Performance - Vote
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2010, 09:17
Looker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BALPA member resigned.

Whilst all the ancillary persuits of BALPA are noble and right what I really wanted from BALPA was a bit more pit bull attitude towards defending my terms and conditions.

Maintaining a good working relationship with management and negotiating rather than resorting to industrial action is again noble and right. However the modern breed of airline managers don't give a to$$ for what is noble and right and are prepared to trample all over our negotiated terms and conditions in order to reduce the cost base.

BALPAs consistent failure to set a boundaries in their relationship with management ultimately leads to a dysfunctional relationship. Management need to realise there are boundaries and there are consequences for stepping beyond those boundaries. It seems that my current employer is only willing to negoitate meaningfully when dragged to the precipice of industrial action and made to look into the abyss. Concessions made by employees in good faith during difficult trading conditions are rarely if ever recouped when times are good. Goodwill is a concept understood but abused by management.

My stance is that there are too many poodles chowing down on prime steak at HQ and not enough pit bulls willing to scrap for their members.

Alternatives to BALPA - legal insurance through ALPL, union representation through UNITE. Both for 1/3rd of the cost of BALPA subs.