PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger Safety Brief
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2010, 13:40
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westlakes makes a good point here re CC having to learn. In training we get the gospel according to which ever airline and then we enter the real world dealing with pax.

I don't know what really happened on PN's flight re the overwing briefing but his latest post alludes to the CC being distracted.

At EZY the overwings are manned on boarding by the CC3. This is the position our newbies initially work in yet it can be one of the most stressful areas on the plane. After the initial stampede to get to these seats we often have to seperate pax from their handluggage quite assertively to comply with CAA regs. At some airports pax seem to squeeze their furniture into what passes for hand luggage and this gets past all gate channels somehow. It is then the poor newbie that gets landed with either having to find somewhere to stow this or telling the pax its going to be hold loaded which never goes down well. In between all this she has to be aware and may actually have to recall from training what passes for an able bodied pax permitted to sit there. She may even have to move someone and on top of all that she has to brief up to 12 pax all before push back.

Being able to do all this seemlessly comes with practice and experience, something like most proffesions you only achieve on the job.

I don't know if the CC in question on PN's flight was a newbie and I doubt he does either. Pax do not see the bigger picture in these cases and there is no reason why you should.

The SCCM though would know which is why it should be flagged up at the time if something does not appear right to any pax. If what was observed here was down to inexperience I would give some constructive feedback to the newbie and if it was the first of a 4 sector day go and help her at the overwings to guide her. If however the crew member was experienced I would kick their butt verbally and depending on their response to this they might even get a written assesment which would go to a CC manager.

Trouble is CC managers in any airline are renowned for not seeing the bigger picture either when they should. That can have serious consequences for any CC which may not always be deserved.