PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2010, 13:07
flapsupdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to submit a post to add my 2 cents worth and to support what Holdmetight has been saying in this forum...

I think being self-critical and always striving to improve/become better are two very important characteristics that CX looks for in their pilots...think about it, as a cadet, you are constantly being critiqued and the only way to succeed as a Cathay cadet is to be able to accept this criticism and work hard towards improving....it doesn't matter how much flying experience you have - whether you have zero hours or an ATPL - the fact of the matter is, there is no such thing as perfection in aviation. Even IF IF IF your flying technique and skills are perfect (which I doubt any one can claim), a big part of flying has to do with AIRMANSHIP, SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, COMMUNICATION, MAKING DECISIONS...etc etc. I have a ton of respect for captains (not just CX captains) and great pilots, but at the end of the day, nobody is perfect. I think Cathay wants people who can acknowledge and work on their limitations, shortcomings and weaknesses to become better pilots. They want people who will continue to learn throughout their career and to take something away from every flight they operate.

If you think you are perfect, or the day you become complacent, you become a threat to the crew and the passengers. And unless one can acknowledge that they don't know everything, they are not in the correct mindset/attitude to learn.

Having said this, if you failed in the past, use this as an opportunity to show that you will not let this single failure stand in the way of your dreams. Use the opportunity to show that you ARE the type of person who will continue to seek out learning experiences and to improve yourself. Use this opportunity to show that you are the type of person who can recognize your weaknesses and that you are proactive in making yourself a stronger candidate.

For those who are re-applying (or thinking of re-applying), keep your head up and have a think about this.

All the best!