PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poll: BALPA's Performance - Vote
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2010, 08:20
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the late eighties/early nineties when I flew for BMI the BALPA CC members largely comprised wannabee pilot management.
When I needed help, it was found wanting, and the bod on "my" side of the table (who surprise surprise subsequently became management) effectively just rubber-stamped the decision taken by management before having a nice round of golf & a couple of pints down the lodge with his "adversary"

Between 2 & 3 years ago IALPA were very confident in the percentage of support they had (both IALPA & BALPA) within Ryanair. They wanted to go for a vote on recognition at that time and were VERY confident of a successful outcome.
The head honcho at BALPA ( not the current one) at that time scuppered it by stating that he wouldn't countenance a recognition vote until a full time official to represent Ryanair was recruited.
He then proceeded to attempt to recruit for this position by offering a fixed period contract only, which is rather half baked when you consider the calibre of person required if you are going to tackle Ryanair.
Long and the short of it is that the impetus was lost and the chance evaporated in the wind.
Next time round, a slightly slow starting wishy washy "respect" campaign floundered on the rocks before it became too embarassing.

The real chance was squandered nearly 3 yrs before.

Guess that makes me a dissatisfied ex-member.