PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poll: BALPA's Performance - Vote
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2010, 23:26
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WWW,

I do have to say that if I'd had to pay to be a pilot I would now be a retired engineer.

I was EXTREMELY lucky:
1. MoD engineering apprenticeship.
2. Seagoing marine engineer officer (which seemed to count at 3) then IBM.
3. Didn't think of myself as 'officer material' but the RAF kindly trained me to fly.
4. Following upon 3, wife talked me out of 'bush flying' in Africa and I just got in to BEA as the 1973 fuel crisis hit and the recruitment doors slammed shut barely missing my botty.

Terms such as: 'fickle finger of fate' and 'charmed life' spring to mind.

I'd have been just as happy as an IBM engineer (which was on the cards at the time - no pun intended - only old computer people will get that)

As originally an eng it is irritating that I get more respect for being a pilot but, hey, what the heck!

Oh, re BALPA, well, I reckon I was 47 before I had a decent salary and that was just because BALPA negotiated the Long Range Premium deal on the 744 which increased my gross by 25k.

Two best employers: IBM and BA (but if you try a head to head with BA they will destroy you - just be realistic)

p.s. HTF did I get into T&E? I'm retired! Must be because I'm just in from pub. There IS life after aviation - but not much