PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger Safety Brief
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2010, 22:11
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
radeng - a very good point. Whilst not needing close medical support (yet!) I do need to keep migraine medication with me at all times and they are small. I adopted this policy some years ago:-

For Long Haul, I only loosen my shoes once established in the cruise and resecure them as soon as we start the let down. If I'm in a sleep suit, that also is for cruise only. On SH (up to 2 hours) I never loosen my shoe laces and often keep my jacket close, rather than in the locker.

Over the years, I have used various ways to keep the following items close to me during climb and descent: Passport; Wallet; Cell phone; Medication. Depending on duration of flight and class of travel these have been/are used occasionally in combination:
  • 'Cargo trousers' with extra pockets on the legs.
  • Very light weight jacket with many pockets, as used by photographers. There are now a plethora of small zipped/velcro bags for pocket digital cameras. They hold a lot of stuff and often have belt loops, come in many shapes and sizes and are cheap.
  • Bum bags of various types. On evac this would be worn to the front.
  • Slim bags sold for use on the beach that have a shoulder strap. During climb/descent it has been around my neck, resting in front. Being slim I hope it would not get in the way. Don't use this now. Some are transparent.
  • Small grab bag, similar to a flat wash bag in size. This goes through security in my hand case and is then removed when I put the bag up/under. I have a selection of small bags bought over the years! At various times they have also held CD Walkman (now iPod) and my NC headphones. These extra items could be chucked out - IF enough warning.
  • The smallest and simplest I use is a child's pencil case. I have one that is of transparent plastic which helps during full security search. The thought is that I could slip the slim flat case inside my shirt before evac.
I have not yet had to make an emergency evac but it is my plan to take these items with me - even if I transfer some of them to pockets at the time. Naturally, the situation will drive With the zero warning of G-YMMM I hope that I would simply grab the slim case and go. But, who knows what I will do if faced with the situation? I can only hope that planning, careful choice of seat row and counting rows will pay off.

The real problem with middle age is that - I diligently count the rows and then, can't remember how many rows I counted ...