PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 7th Jul 2002, 16:36
Flashman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking NVG

[email protected],

Sorry for the confusion, never assume, check as they say! I should have known better, a crab using an e-mail address for a user name. I now know who you are and no you wouldn't have been the DCFI !. I was also at MW as a Lynx/Gaz QHI. Infact I spent more time in the NAAFI queue than you did on goggles!

Yes, you can have phosphur pretty much any colour you like - white wouldn't be much good for night flying though would it?!
I said only the colours amber and green are used in the manufacture of NVG. Green being the general choice as more shades of green are visible to the human eye.

The main improvements from Gen II to Gen III were the use of Gallium Arsenide as a photocathode and the ion barrier film on the MCP's - I'll give you that one! The pore size reduction of the MCP was and continues to be an important area of advancement. Saying that, Panoramic Night Vision Goggles will be available in 2-3 years.

I can assure you that North Wales Police Air Operations Unit are more than happy with their choice of goggles. As mentioned in my previous post, Gen 2+ proved to be the better goggle during police NVG trials.

Hercules Poirot was a ficticious, fat belgian detective who I believe has more in common with you than me! Give my regards to all the ex-pongo pilots who jumped across and now walk sideways.