PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2010, 19:11
OnEsTeP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
##tips For## Stage One Cubes

For anyone who is considering there stage one..
When preparing for my stage one, being able to rotate a 3-D cube in my mind was something the candidate had to show the ability to do..After weeks of looking at model cubes i made and the various nets with as puzzeled look on my face, i finally cracked a small, simple formula of managing to work out how the cube will look..
Everyone knows that the most simple net of a cube is the basic 'cross shape' (A line of 4 cubes vertical and 3 cubes horizonal.)
sooo when your faced with a slighlty more challanging net, try and re-assemble the more challanging net to more basic one. Doing this is again, simple. In order to create the more basic net, you will essentially need to turn each cube 90 degrees as if you were rolling it around the net until you get it to its new desired (basic) position. With each 'role' of 90 degrees you will obviously have to turn whatever pattern is on that face of the cube 90 degrees. Although that may sound difficult it really isnt..your best bet is to cut out the shape of a complex cube net, draw patterns on each face and try and see what i mean.
Once you have the basic net of a cube..it is SSOOO much easier to mentally rotate it in your head..trust me..
I have just done my stage one successfully with the help of this little formula...When sitting the test, use a scrap piece of paper to draw the new 'basic' net from the more complex net you are provided with...Sure, it will take 30 seconds of your allocated time but 30 seconds is nothing compared to the time you will be looking at each more complex net with a blank look on your face.
If anyone wants to follow this up or for me try and break it down more step by step, private message me and ill see what i can so
Cheers