PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2010, 17:45
elderlypart-timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ancient history

Does anyone remember this particular quote? I especially admire the way in which Maggie implies that she had nothing to do with the Endurance decision.

Mr. James Callaghan
On a related question, is the Prime Minister aware that the Government's decisions to withdraw and pay off HMS "Endurance" when she returns from the South Atlantic is an error that could have serious consequences? Is she further aware that this stale old proposition was put to me on more than one occasion when I was Prime Minister and after considering it I turned it down flat? Will she please do the same?
§ The Prime Minister
I recognise that this was a very difficult decision for my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Defence. The right hon. Gentleman will appreciate that there are many competing claims on the defence budget, even though we are increasing it substantially. He will also know that the defence capability of that ship is extremely limited. My right hon. Friend therefore felt that other claims on the defence budget should have greater priority. (Hansard, 9th Feb, 1982)