PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Ireland
Thread: SAR: Ireland
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2002, 15:44
Irlandés

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My heart really goes out to the Air Corps on this one. Although I never got the opportunity to join their ranks, their influence on me when I was younger was instrumental in me getting into the helicopter world. I used to have to cross the helipad (the prohibited shortcut) at Our Lady of Lourdes hospital in Dun Laoghaire on the way to school and many was the day there would be an Alouette III there bringing in accident victims to the back trauma unit. I used to be fascinated (still am!) by the whole thing. Normally I wouldn't bother the pilots who had enough on their plates but one day they had shut down and seemed fairly relaxed so I asked could I get in. I got the full tour! Their enthusiasm and professionalism really inspired me. And here I am 12 years later on the other side of the world flying helicopters.

Can't for the life of me understand the motivation behind Arkroyal's comments. Or maybe after thirty years of studying human nature, I understand his comments all to well... It reminds me of a comment I overheard a US F-16 pilot saying at the Baldonnel airshow when the Silver Swallows were taxiing out to do their display. "Hey guys here come the Irish Air 'Force'... all of it!" Seemed funny at the time, but in the light of the Tramore accident, you've really got to wonder if they're getting the short end of the stick. And now this!

Irlandés

Last edited by Irlandés; 7th Jul 2002 at 16:13.