PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2010, 11:20
JEM60

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
As this sorry saga looks like possibly ending shortly, for what it's worth, here is my opinion.

The whole Vulcan project seems to have been based on a misguided belief that the only thing that was missing from the general public's life was the opportunity to see a Vulcan fly again. As a regular attendee of Airshows,, I have to say that I was sceptical about this project from the start, and have posted to that effect on several occasions from it's beginning..

There are, perhaps, some 50,000 Airshow Enthusiasts in this country, who could, if they all contributed a small amount regularly, [I'm not going to go into figures, done that before] could quite easily have kept this project going. In 2008, many of my colleagues on the Airshow Enthusiasts scene got fed up with driving hither and thither to find the aircraft didn't arrive, or couldn't, for various reasons perform. Enthusiasm for the Vulcan waned considerably, but regained some momentum in 2009,though none saw fit to contribute any more cash.

The problem now is that most of us have now seen it, drooled, taken video, photo's etc., and are now, sadly, not particularly bothered any more, as to whether or not it flies again. Apathy has set in and we are mostly of the opinion, amongst ourselves, that our fears about the project are well-founded [One didn't need a chrystal ball to sus that out!]

As regards the publics interest, well, most of them wouldn't know what a Vulcan was, even if they saw it, and couldn't care much even if they did recognise it. Problem is, we have seen it, and, like seeing a good film, you do not instantly want a repeat performance, so sorry to say, not too bothered is the general feeling.

This is only my, and a few friends opinion, and I know that it must be very hard for dedicated people involved with it, in whatever capacity, to face up to reality, and accept that it is pretty much dead in the water as a viable, long lasting project. It was lovely to see it fly again, and I, frankly, am amazed it lasted two seasons. I hope it continues, but can only be pessimistic. Regards, John [A realist]