PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOP design and adherence
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2010, 09:54
framer

Received 482 Likes on 130 Posts
Rwy in sight, I don't know sorry. The sops I was using in Asia were designed by a western airline. There were definitely issues though. Quite a few guys either didn't know the sops , didn't understand them, or thought that they only applied to first officers. With English as a second language many things that you and I read and understand instantly can be misinterpreted and that misunderstanding can just sit there for years if the training program is weak. I was a first officer at one place where some of the Captains were genuinely surprised when I explained the intent of a part of the FCOM or similar. It was not a fault of theirs in any way, it's just that the Boeing speak in some instances was ambiguous to them at their level of English and their countrymen F/o's would not bring up the fact that something was being done incorrectly. Some of these guys had around 15,000hrs and were sound pilots but if you don't understand a sentence, you don't understand a sentence.Translating does not solve this problem very often because there are many english words that have no equivilent and a word that is 'about right' can dramatically change the intent of a sentence.