PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2010, 07:54
Jabba_TG12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, I'm with Fubaar on this.

Whilst not indulging in wilywaving or anything like that or getting into disputes with any of the argentine contributors, who obviously are not their politicians or have the same mind set.

Another contributor mentioned it earlier on as well.

All they've got to do is take MPA.

Once theyve taken the airfield, you're royally fecked. Possession being 9/10's and all that.

What it all boils down to on both sides is political will. Does Argentina think it is worth it to plan and mount a viable assault that may have a good chance of success...

Does the UK Government figure that it is worth it trying to defend the islands or if it came to it, attempt to retake them, as per CORPORATE...

FWIW, I think in the next 5 years or so, I wouldnt be surprised to see something happen. Or come to the brink of it.

Suffice it to say, the UK defence policy at the moment appears to be akin to leaving a sweet shop (tantamount to) unlocked and unguarded next to a school on a sink estate... you just know, deep down, the longer you leave it, the chances are of it being raided go up exponentially... but how long can you leave it?

Brown, for certain would see his worst particular chickens coming home to roost, (as if they havent already). But, considering he's odds on for the boot regardless of who gets in in May/June, thats of not much consequence. Cameron or others on the other hand (or if theres a hung parliament...)... Nah, not sure I can see it. He might talk the talk, but... Cant exactly emulate Thatch if the cupboard is bare, can he?

No. The Brits have neither the capability, the manpower, the resources, nor the political will to attempt another Corporate. Not now. We cant even prevent a middle aged couple on a yacht from being ambushed by a bunch of gung-ho bloody pirates for gods sake, let alone defend/retake a group of islands.

Hopefully, Chavez is just beating his gums because he likes the sound of his own voice. Should we start seeing Flankers turning up in Argentina, then I'd be seriously worried. Theres only so much a limited number of Typhoons can do.

The next five years are going to be interesting..