PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas To Reconfigure International Aircraft
Old 18th Feb 2010, 06:35
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only 9x B744s will remain in the fleet and they will be the ones getting the upgraded cabins.

Looks like they will not bother to reconfig all the other B744s which by the looks of it will all be gone in the next 2 years.
I'm no expert, but I'd say some will hang around a bit longer.

The upgrade and reconfiguration program will commence at the end of 2011 and is scheduled for completion by the end of 2013.
- so that's not much change out of 4 years to start with.

Also, the article states that 9 744s will be reconfigured, indicating that that 9 will be the ones staying in the fleet; however there will probably be some stragglers which won't get reconfig'ed, but will roll off beyond that time as their D's come up. So, any 744 getting a D between now & when this work starts (the better part of 2 years) will probably be allowed to soldier on (unless it's one of the 9 youngsters).

That said, it wouldn't surprise to see one-for-one replacement at some stage, but I'd suspect the current A380 delivery schedule is not sufficiently ambitious as to allow for 1:1 replacement of 16 airframes (27 currently in service less the 9 being kept) within 2 years.