PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2010, 01:43
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes there are some who do not understand.

1. To be a pilot in most Air Forces, you have to show the qualities that enable officers to function in what is considered to be the officer way. Many excellent pilots have gone to the wall, because they either did not understand that requirement, or where not prepared to hone their skills, until the required standards where obtained.

2. Then there are those who think that because they the skills to be a good pilot, that they are entitled for entry as such. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Air Force has learnt over many years what are the talents they are looking for, and will quickly walk away from those who cannot or will not cut the mustard.

3. The system is focused on the aspects they are looking for, you may be able to paint a picture that is preety, but the system will catch you if what you are seeking is not what the Air Force require.

4. Certainly having a keen mind and being right on the ball, but at the end of the day there are plenty of hot shot pilots, but very few who show real leadership and team work talents.

5. You have to be carefull to blend your desires to achieve, with the Air Force ways, or you will not make it.

6. You have no right to be an Air Force pilot, no one is garanteed entry, and you really need to understand what the real requirements are. In many cases it will mean learning all over again

In conclusion I well remember a co pilot student who really stuffed up. 250 hours and he knew it all. Bad run in with QFI who told him he would not fly with him anymore. Felt a bit sorry and fronted the QFI and I said he really wants to fly. His response was "if he really wants to fly, he can flap his arms and jump out the window." After some more discusion he said, its all about humilty, if he comes to understand that I became a QFI after lots of effort, and he needs to learn that he really knows nothing, and needs to impress me with how much he wants to learn, and not how much he knows.

Had a long talk with the trainee and lessons started again. 25 years later ran into him at a re union, and he was then a Group Captain, so a change of attitude stopped the Air Force loosing firstly someone who became a good office and not a bad pilot to boot.

By all means demonstate your keeness, but do not come the bounch as that is what will happen to you.

Best of Luck

Col