PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2010, 21:42
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bearfoil
"Simultaneous binary engine failure in ETOPS?" IMPOSSIBLE. Except for the two times it's happened?
Three, recently, that I can think of (discounting those who went in for gliding practice by runing out of fuel).

BA38, and two birdies (Sully and FR at Rome - either of those could have gone very wrong had captain not taken charge and taken unconventional decisions, breaking SOPs etc.). Have I missed any ?

Note that N862DA rolled back like BA38, but only one engine. It was not "simultaneous binary engine failure".

To me, the birds are the bigger problem.
  • We know the exact cause (have the smoking gun / remains)
  • Incidents not type specific (bird or plane).
  • Larger number of (dual engine loss in twin) incidents
  • BA38 rollbacks have a recovery procedure (if you have the height) - wheras the best engineer in the world isn't going to get sully's engines going again.
  • BA38 rollback could occur anywhere (N862DA at cruise) - birdies are most likely when you are low in critical flight phase
There's an engineering improvement (I won't say "fix" since there is only a probable cause not a proven, or reproducible, one to test against) for BA38 - engineered to make the plubming more robust to ice/slush blockage.

Where's the fix / improvement for the birds ? <deafening silence>
Is there even any research been recommened (like for BA38) ?
Doesn't anyone find that (more) worrying ?