PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merseyside UAV grounded by Campaign Against Aviation
Old 17th Feb 2010, 20:37
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
I can assure you that the military is not going to use "gamers" as UAV operators. My 8yr old kid is a "gamer" and she does not have the skill set to fly a Reaper in a complex air/land battlespace and execute a swing-role ISTAR and CAS mission - so let's put that notion to bed!

In fact the 4x RAF non-pilots that are undergoing trials will fly 30-odd hours as a pilot (inc. going solo), 60-odd hours learning instrument flying skills in the Tucano simulator, go on a 1 month UAV Fundamentals Course in the USA (which includes more sim flying), do the Joint FIRES Course, some other courses and then a 3 month US Predator OCU - to all intense and purposes about a year's training and they will be rated pilots in every sense. They are not "gamers" (apart from playing their Nintendo DS or iPhone games in spare time like anyone else!).

Surely, the increase in Intelligence, Surveillance and Recconaisance (ISR), that UAVs like this will provide, will stop the unlikely occurences you mention:

Plod breaks your door down at 3 in the morning, cos they've used out of date or cr*p information, or they stop you on the motorway because they've misidentified your car (again) and think you are a Manchester-based drug baron
It certainly won't make the situation any worse, will it?

I have also worked with your so-called "sensitive databases" and yes mistakes are made - some intel is never 100%. But what would you rather they do? Nothing!? I do concede that the De Menezes case was a tragic and total cock-up - it should never happen again (but as long as humans are involved it probably will!).

It staggers me the amount of resistance to this capability. It strikes me that it shares comparison with the need of a man to waive a flag in front of a motor vehicle about 100years ago!

LJ