PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Wavell - the end of the RAF in Cyprus?
Old 17th Feb 2010, 20:28
Geehovah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of putting my head above the parapet but this is maybe the straw that breaks the proverbial............

Having served a year or two I'm increasingly finding the current total focus on current ops disturbing.

For a start I should say I don't neglect the need for the focus on current ops. What the people need they should have. I've served in The Falklands, Bosnia, overseas on exchange and all other points East (and West). Can't say I ever got all I needed. Nor indeed was I able to provide all I should have been able to when called. That said; the current ops in Air Force terms are what I would have described as Sqn effort when I joined the Service. Increasingly we're adopting the role of the scrutineers and discussing military requirements in terms of whether we can afford the commitment. The Govt committed us to this fight. WE ARE AT WAR but Cyprus is strategy so we need to look to the future if we're not to become the Royal Flying Corps. Equally, neglect the training and home defence role and it will be another 1936 in terms of magnitude of task.

If it needs more cash the Govt need to provide it. If we can't afford it pull out.

Seeeemples.

Or maybe send the recipients of welfare benefit out to fight.

Sorry; off to lie down now................