PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merseyside UAV grounded by Campaign Against Aviation
Old 17th Feb 2010, 19:59
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Oh FFS!

All of you get a life - this Quadrocopter is about the same size as your average model aircraft. You know, the sort of thing you can buy from the Gadget Shop or your RC Model Shop and legally fly without permission from the CAA as long is it is for personal reasons (up to 20kgs in weight).

Here is the data sheet for the device AirRobot®. Die universelle Plattform für die Überwachung, Inspektion und Dokumentation aus der Luft

It weighs less than 1Kg - it's hardly an unmanned Tornado or a Predator/Reaper! See an avoid is for big stuff and anyway the Coppers have to keep it within 400ft in height - and most other air users are above 500ft anyway (especially in built up areas). Just how much "see and avoid" do you think is done by RC model flyers???

The big issue was that the Police were doing "Air Work" with this small UAV and that requires permission from the CAA as stipulated by the CAA in the Air Navigation Order (ANO). See Civil Air Publication (CAP) 722 on UAVs, the ANO and CAP 658 on model aircraft for further.

As for privacy 'glad rag' - if you want to wear a gimp mask and a superman costume and be private then draw the bloomin' curtains! I would rather be safe and sound by losing a bit of privacy than feeling extra private with 3 crack-heads getting "medieval on my arse" whilst they rob my house. Furthermore, a Police Helicopter can legally fly over your house at either 500ft or 1500ft depending on your location and look in your window with an MX-15 camera and count the spots on your bottom - the only difference is that it is bloody noisy and bloody expensive (and I don't like that as it comes from my Council Tax!).

Sorry for the rant, but I feel there is a lot of uninformed debate on this thread when the only real issue is that the Feds did not get the correct paperwork in place. What they need is a bunch of retired and well-informed ex-mil aviators to run their UAV operations and let their flat-footers chase criminals and nick them!

LJ