PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand ATC jobs
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2010, 18:21
Howling Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I'm new to pprune but have been around a while in NZ. Regarding the posts by Conflict Alert, Slackie and Rotweiler, I would note a thing or two.

One, recalls are regarded as compulsory by the company but in fact anyone with a set of nuts can decline one by using caller ID and not answering the phone, or simply by advising they are fatigued. In they push it, simply ask for the instruction in writing, including an acknowledgement that you are fatigued and are doing the recall under duress. The problem then goes away.......

Two, Conflict Alert has led a sheltered existence if he/she thinks Airways has not used threats (up to dismissal) to coerce people to do recalls. I can recall up to a dozen of these situations including one of personal experience.

Three - NZ ATC is what it is. The pay is ok - no more, the country is what you make of it if a bit provincial, there are worse employers than Airways - though they don't know much about running an ATC system. The prime concern by the company seems to be that all the equipment looks really cool - too often this overshadows whether it works as advertised........................

Cheers all