PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hughes/MD 500
Thread: Hughes/MD 500
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2010, 18:21
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Six blade head; Good or Bad?

I'm doing a bit of research into the whole H-6/H500 family of helicopters and I have a few questions about the latest version, the H-6M and the AH-6X/i series. These helicopters have a six blade main rotor head (apparently lifted from the MD600N) and a four blade tail rotor.

1. What are the benefits of the six blade system over the previous five and four blade heads?

2. Does it have inferior autorotation performance characteristics when compared to the five or four blade system?

3. Does the six blade system offer greater responsiveness over less-populated heads?

4. I think it was mentioned earlier that the older four blade system outperforms the five blade system at very high altitudes. Does the six blade head compound this problem and if so, can it be compensated for by simply having a big, powerful engine (which it appears the H-6M is fitted with)?

5. Should the 160th SOAR and Boeing consider reverting to a five or four blade system with a more efficient rotor blade design for extreme high altitude ops in places like Afghanistan?

On to the canted four blade tail rotor. Apparently this system has not met with universal approval from the 160th pilots. The A/MH-6M are due to go through a Block 1.0 upgrade soon and a yaw stability system is slated for installation.

1. What is the reason for mounting the tail rotor disc at an offset angle from the vertical?

If anyone can offer any answers to these questions, they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

500 Fan.