PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very confused wannabe seeks advice from the old and wise!
Old 17th Feb 2010, 17:43
Jay_solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best advice I can probably give you right now:

A) Get yourself a degree in a career field you would enjoy or be satisfied working in for the rest of your life (outside of aviation)

B) Start working in industry with that degree, gain job experience in that field, or what ever field you happen to fall in.

C) While working in industry, gain your PPL, ME and about 100 hours total off your own back. Dont take out a loan!!

D) When you have gotten your PPL, ME and about 100 hours out of your own back pocket, then analyse the current state of the industry, analyse your flying progress so far, then make a decision.

Its a long term plan, probably 8 years if you consider your 3 years for degree, and 5 years working. But trust me, you'll be better off financially, and would not have invested so heavily like others if in the end, you realize flying as a career is not stable or feasible.

We all have dreams, but we have to be real too, Flying is great, but the industry is not so great.

Good luck