PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - when to do my ppl
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2010, 15:37
CraigJL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started flying for the PPL when I was 14, I'll be 16 next month, preparing for the air law exam, and looking to go solo.

My parents have kindly offered to fund me through the PPL (I know what you're thinking, but they won't be re-mortgaging the house for any further traning). Starting early is a blessing and a sin, I have about 23 hours so far, and occasionally, after not flying for a month or so, I do forget the odd check, but all it takes is a quick revision when you realise your mistake.

The key is to keep on top of learning, and recall procedures often, when not flying.

It is a high workload combined with school exams, but aviation is a hobby for me too so I don't mind the extra effort, if you think you can cope with it.

The protracted way of doing it is probably a little more expensive if you're going to require "refresher" lessons if you've not been for a while. I'd rather amass my knowledge slowly than rushing it in a 3 week jobby. It is possible to lose some knowledge if you do it over a time (3 years if you start now), so if you can keep on top of things, you'll do just fine.