PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2010, 12:46
cosmiccomet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear Barnstormer,
I have to correct you about your comments about the Atlantic Conveyor sinking.
That was a civil merchant ship commissioned by the British Government to transport
Supplies to help the landing campaign during the war.
It was loaded with military supplies. You can see many pictures of the ship sailing to the South Atlantic
with its deck full of Chinooks, Wessex and even Sea Harriers. So it was a military target.
The SHR were ferried shortly before the attack that’s why she was sailing very close to the
HMS Hermes.
You cannot blame the Argentine Navy Pilots for attacking her. They couldn’t distinguished between
war ships and supply ships in their screens.
The AM39 Exocet were lunch against the biggest target and they were deviated by the UK electronic countermeasures. But the missiles reacquired another target which was the Atlantic Conveyor.
We can talk about other civil merchant ships commissioned by one of the belligerent governments.
The Narwal was a fishing ship used by the Argentine Navy for electronic warfare and she was strafed run and sunk by two Sea Harriers.
The ARA Isla de los Estados was a merchant transport ship used by the navy to transport supplies for the Argentinean troops in Port Howard and Darwin.
She was catched by the HMS Alacrity and sunk using her cannon. Only two sailors survived to the sinking.
Moreover, the HMS UGANDA was targeted by five Skyhawk A4B on the 28th but the formation commander ordered to abort the attack after seeing the red crosses.
About the HMS Invincible attack, you have your story and we have our.
We have to wait until the British government discloses the secret information about that matter.
Until that happens I will believe what my pilots tell about that attack.
I would like to express my deeply sorry and respect for all your loses.

But I would like also to stress that my government and all the Argentinian Republic is not going to stop claiming its rights over those islands.

It is a state policy written with the blood of our people.