PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local pilots fly off the handle at expat perks
Old 17th Feb 2010, 10:37
hongkongfooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's quite simple really trendsetters, it is called supply and demand.
I would wager that some time ago CX and KA said to themselves " hang on, we don't need to pay this much, there is a glut of pilots out there " ..........gentlemen I give you " B " scale.
They probably also said " we need to employ locals to be seen to be doing the right thing, but there are no ( or hardly any ) locals that meet our requirements ".... gentlemen, I give you the cadet scheme.
Do you guys really think that they pay us what they do, including housing, because they like us and don't like you ??? really ?? do you really think it's personal ?? I know it's already been mentioned but how many non A scalers bitch about not getting A scale ?? Probably not too many, they signed up for B scale and that is what they got, pay increases due to rises in cost of living etc are a completely different animal, but basically they are getting what they signed for.
They pay us what is required to leave our home country, ( and quite often a good job ) our families, our clean air and our 2 storey/4bed/3 bath house on a 700 sq meter block etc and not a cent more, if they thought they could get away with payin less I can assure you they would.
Until there are a glut of pilots, and I would'nt hold my breath, you guys are on a hiding to nothing because at the end of the day, what do you have to bargain with ? apart from voting with your feet which none of you seem to be keen on.
This is not us against them, racism or any other bleeding heart issue you may care to hide it behind, it is simple economics.
IF THEY DID'NT NEED US, THEY WOULD'NT BE PAYING US ( or any other expat in HK ) WHAT THEY DO.
Hope thats clear enough.
Good luck with improving your lot but do yourself a favour and drop the chase for expat conditions.