PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2010, 09:18
cyclops16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may be just sabre rattling but the threat is there. As we have a past with the Argies it should be taken seriously.I see this from a civvie point as I have been out of uniform for 20 years.But they will be well aware you guys and girls are over stretched.They know that major cutbacks are going to be made who ever gets in power.We no longer have the fleet we did to send South and the majority of heavy Helo support is in the Sandpit.The world economic situation is a basket case and those that have Oil could dictate to those that have not as this commodity gets less and less, especially as the largest resources are in the Middle East and in a constant potential war zone now that Iran has declared itself a Nuclear Power with all the problems that will entail such as sanctions (yet again)and the on-going threat of an Israeli strike.
But the essential points are we are under equipped,over stretched,under manned to fight on at least 2 fronts,don't have anything like the Naval power we did,have no long-range strike capability as the Vulcans have gone and MPA would be in range of the Argies and the tankers are tied up in other theatres. Gordy wouldn't do what Mrs. T did and may string it out until after the election in the near future(May 6) He hasn't got the bottle and then he can blame the new Government for doing nothing.Makes me think why he did a deal with the Libyans a few months ago for their Oil after we released the PanAm bomber.If the Argies did go the military route would there be really anything we could do? The cupboard is well and truly bare and any potential enemy is going to exploit that especially when it is so far from these shores.