PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2010, 07:48
atakacs

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm staggered at the comments regarding what 'could' have been done. This crew did bloody well, and the flight simulator and light aircraft pilots should perhaps keep their ignorance to themselves.
Again given the circumstances (completely unexpected - and to be frank still unexplained - failure, very little time to react, no specific training) I would say that the outcome was the result of sheer luck. In my view the flap reduction was mostly instinctive (good call btw) and they where spectators of a once in a lifetime event. Don’t think anyone could fault them with anything but on the other hand I don’t see exceptional airmanship either. At best job well done – it’s a sad testimony of the state of the industry if this deserve such high praise.

I respectfully have some concerns about the apparent taboo discussing actual facts and figures – if available – about what was the best possible outcome. If nothing else this might be helpful should this unlikely black swan show it’s ugly head again…