PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kununurra SITREP
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2010, 07:29
1723KG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant believe that fresh pilots still go up North without a NVFR in the first place. Unless you meet the minimums as per CAO 40.2.1 you wont be able to go at night even if you do have an Instrument rating. That particular rating will IMHO get you much further up the pile of resumes than not having one. The last few pilots that I have seen coming through have not had a NVFR but had an Instrument rating and have not done any night flying at all whilst on the singles and the opportunity has arisen. Apart from getting valuable experience at night, the 100 hours of night command/copilot time has to be met somehow in order to gain an ATPL.

My advice is this. Base yourself somewhere nice, get a shared house with another pilot (hopefully an employed one), get a good paying job (non flying) and do your ATPL subjects whilst you are networking towards the first job. See if any of the operators in the town that you are at would be prepared to hire you an aircraft for an hour or so a month to stay current and that may get you a foot in the door not the least getting you current on the aircraft that you may get a check ride on. Network the hell out of the town and get to know the guys that fly for the companies that you want to work for.

Make sure you have the current ERSA, ERC low and the WAC and each surrounding WAC of the area you propose to work in. You want to be able to fly your checkride and ICUS flights under your own steam without having to borrow any gear, and you should be able to fly like a local to that aerodrome or area.

Think outside the square a bit and realize that not all of the jobs are in Broome/Kunnunura. There is every chance that there are jobs further west than those places.