PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's happening in PAL now?
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2010, 07:22
EffinDodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was nice while it lasted

PAL will be letting go of 5 A320s in stages along with the pilots (about 4.3 pairs per aircraft). Two air crafts will be given to AirPhil at the end of Feb, one in March, October ,and January next year. Pilots who are at the bottom of seniority are deemed redundant and are given 2 options, to resign or go on leave without pay.

Option 1. Resign, no more contract, you get your retirement benefits... provided you do not join any other airline within a year.

Option 2. You go on leave without pay, you get to keep your seniority, but you can only apply with Air Phil and when the time comes for an upgrade you can get back at your beloved airline who just let go of you without any warning. Travel and medical benefits are still being negotiated.

During the meeting, somebody pointed out that if pilots were deemed redundant, would it be ok if those with higher seniority volunteer to take the place of the guys who are/will be forced to be let go since they are better prepared to go out. But in the usual fashion, the answer was no.

It really is the managements sneaky plan to direct these pilots into AirPhil, thinking they have no other choice. I pity those who just got released since they really have nothing else to do but swallow their pride and join AirPhil. As for the other pilots, they do realize that AirPhil isn't the only choice.

Management's plan (I mean the guys at PNB) thinks the best way to compete with Cebu Pac is to match prices with Airphil using the same aircraft. Their line of thinking is that PAL is a legacy airline and too precious to go head to head with Cebu Pac who is (gasp!) a low cost carrier.

Methinks this will not work. And the reasons are listed below. Feel free to add some of yours.
1. The pilots who are at the bottom of the seniority doesn't necessarily have to go to AirPhil, they got their time and training and as a bonus their contract is forfeited. Who will then man the A320s?

2. As an airline, Cebu Pacific really has a better following than Airphil.

3. The plans were born out of greed, without consideration to those who will be directly affected.

PAL pilots have pride in their jobs, and has made a lot of sacrifices to get to where they are. Too bad the guys at PNB are too short sighted to see this. In the end they will be turning over some aircrafts at Airphil, without even making sure that they will be manned. They even started selling tickets to 4 routes. (Puerto Princesa, Ilo-ilo, Bacolod, and Cagayan)

Maybe this is all part of their plan, maybe not. Whatever the case is it really doesn't look too good. I love this airline, I hate to see it fall like this, I think it's time for me to make an exit plan just like LT.

Also, I love lists.