PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relationship between V1 and Vmcg?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2002, 07:55
john_tullamarine

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
Ignition Override,

I can only suggest that you discuss the matter with your flight standards people and see why they adopted that policy. If company procedures specify the adoption of a strict weight based speed schedule then I would go down the path of trying to get the policy relaxed somewhat.

The certification ignores crosswind for Vmcg determination and the DC9 procedures, like most aircraft, reflect the certification procedures ... it is expected that the operator use this as a basis for their own procedures.

Now, you are perfectly entitled to go at minV1 in a strong crosswind, have a failure, and run off the runway ... all I am suggesting is that, by using speeds appropriate to a higher weight (but not exceeding the RTOW for the runway in the conditions) you avoid an easily avoidable problem ... your choice (or, more particularly, your company's choice) ... but I know what my preference is ...

Having seen the real world dynamics for the diesel at low V1 with a strong crosswind in a failure situation .... it is a matter well worth considering.... why stick your neck out and accept a potentially very hazardous situation which is largely avoidable ?

Normally you won't get any additional information other than by cultivating the design and flight test organisations .. Douglas used to run some pretty good operator conferences and the delegates would get lots of good gen ... however, it is probable that your -10 will have a real world Vmcg increase somewhere in the order of one half of the crosswind .... Vmcg is not really related to weight .. except to the extent that, at lower weights, as the V1 reduces in the typical BFL related data, the Vmcg consideration eventually limits V1 reduction.

%MAC has the picture it would appear ...

.. and we should keep in mind that, in the OEI case, the climb performance improves at speeds a little in excess of V2min anyway ...