PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the wet
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2010, 23:03
displaced gangster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top End wet season. Fuel quality tips

• Avgas contaminated with water has been a major threat to operators in the top end since Clyde Fenton commenced his operation out of Katherine between the wars.
  • If using drum stocks be aware that drums exposed to the elements will become hot, a sharp shower will create a vacuum in the drum drawing in water from bung seals, ensure drums are placed slightly of vertical with both bungs clear of any possible water entry.
  • Review your POH/Flight Manual to confirm you know the location of every fuel drain point, ensure drains are conducted prior to the first flight of the day, and after every refuel.
  • Be aware that during flight, as fuel is burnt very moist air enters the tanks via the vents.
  • Be extra vigilant with "bladder tanks" as ripples in the tank will be a very effective water trap.
  • Fuel sample checks must be effective, I used a combination of water detection tablets,evaporation rates from the back of my hand,sight then smell. I recall it was not that unusual to need to take several samples from a drain point to remove all traces of water.
  • Be aware of the "attitude" of the aircraft when fuel drains are being conducted, eg under inflated nose oleo may move trapped water away from fuel drain points.
  • Become involved in the airworthiness of the aircraft you operate, if you are concerned about tank seals."Write it up", it is amazing what will happen once a LAME is required to certify defect rectification.