PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COVENTRY
Thread: COVENTRY
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2010, 20:10
Skypartners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality check

Maybe I've been the only one saying, for about 4 years, this ain't ever gonna work. In the ole days everyone was optimistic about the difference a passenger terminal would make while I was observing that many regional airports WITH nice terminals still have little or no passenger business.

And when the Swiss lot went on telly and started on about passenger flights I was forced to conclude that they were amateurs, ill-informed and unlikely to see it through.

Forget all talk of passenger flights from CVT and ignore 'bidders' who aspire to secure them for they are not likely to stick around for long. The climate is cool and the need is just not there - and a small amount of passenger flight business is worse still because you have all the added cost (especially ATC and security) and no real revenue. You either gotta have half a million passenger or none - anything in-between is not viable.

I think the exec airport idea with heavy GA and training could have worked but was too little, too late and being marketed by entirely the wrong people.

I do think Peter Rigby could take that idea further through sheer determination and good business practice - something we'd all welcome. I am sure he'd put together a proper business team for CVT.

On a final note we are not privy to the beauty contest being held by the council. I do think they're being seduced by fake bidders with grand promises and the longer they wait the less business will survive there to be of interest to the new leaseholder.