PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwi B777 burst 12 tyres in aborted takeoff at NRT
Old 16th Feb 2010, 19:20
blah blah blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lomapaseo,

I have had two RTOs, one as an FO the other as a skipper.

The one as a skipper was simple as I was PF and I stopped well prior to V1 because "something" didnt feel right through the controls. Turns out there was a problem with a wheel bogey that probably would have meant control issues at higher take off speed and during landing.

The RTO as an FO was different as I was PM. Two things happened at once, a master warning and a rwy incursion. I called the abort, the skipper only saw the master warning and called continue (against SOPs, though I understood his reasoning, there was background to that particular warning). However, I still wanted him to stop as I didnt particularly want to hit what was now well onto my side of the rwy. I called abort again and took control of the throttles, closing them. Skipper continued the RTO procedure from there as PF. Either of these issues should have meant a stop. The problem here was the skipper going against SOPs. To those that would say I should have stated what the problem was, well that wasnt in our SOPs, but which problem do I announce? Or which one do I announce first?

Surely these things should be kept as simple as possible, and there is nothing more simple than a qualified pilot calling an abort in accordance with the SOP requirements, carrying out the appropriate actions, and then discussing it on the taxi.

Blah