PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwi B777 burst 12 tyres in aborted takeoff at NRT
Old 16th Feb 2010, 17:03
Bullethead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G’day lomapaseo,

I had a medium speed, around 80kts, RTO recently due to a takeoff config warning which turned out to be spurious and caused by a faulty leading edge slat proximity sensor.

It was the FO’s sector and in the normal course of events he would set the initial thrust level and let it stabilise before engaging the autothrottle which would then apply takeoff thrust. As soon as he removes his hand from the thrust levers to engage the auto throttle I follow through on them with my right hand as the thrust is set and until V1 is called when I remove my hand.

This action has me primed and ready for a reject if necessary and after V1 with my hand away from the thrust levers less likely to attempt a RTO on the high side of V1.

So this is what we were doing when the TO config warning occurred, I had my right hand on the thrust levers and the FO had both hands on the control column. The weather conditions at the time were day VMC.

I immediately closed the thrust levers, took over and called STOP. The FO after an initial startle moment made the appropriate radio call and continued to monitor the RTO actions. It all worked as per the books even though the circumstances of this particular RTO were unusual and one not practiced in the sim.

In my airline it is always the Captain’s decision to carry out an RTO regardless of who announces the problem or how the problem is announced and always his responsibility to actually carry it out.

Pre-flight I always give the RTO brief regardless of whose sector it is.

I think that answers your queries though if you have any others feel free to ask.

Regards,
BH.