PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwi B777 burst 12 tyres in aborted takeoff at NRT
Old 16th Feb 2010, 15:48
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blah, blueloo;
Re your comments, enquiries:

Boeing 777 Flight Crew Training Manual
Rejected Takeoff Maneuver
The decision to reject the takeoff is the responsibility of the captain, and must be made before V1 speed. If the captain is the PM, he should initiate the RTO and announce the abnormality simultaneously. NOTE: If the decision is made to reject the takeoff, the flight crew should accomplish the rejected takeoff non-normal maneuver as described in the Maneuvers chapter of the QRH.

Rejected Takeoff, Maneuvers Chapter, QRH:

The captain has the sole responsibility for the decision to reject the takeoff.

The decision must be made in time to start the rejected takeoff maneuver by V1. If the decision is to reject the takeoff, the captain must clearly announce “STOP”, commence the stopping action, and assume control of the airplane.

If the first officer is making the takeoff, the first officer must maintain control of the airplane until the captain makes a positive input to the controls.

During the takeoff, the crew member observing the non-normal situation will immediately call it out as clearly as possible.

blah;
Im amazed that airlines are operating like this. Obviously they are though, and Im sure justifications can be made for this, but for me, hearing of this for the first time, it still sounds crazy.
Understand that comment very well now because I must admit to the same impressions hearing that in some operations rejects can be initiated by any crew member. As I mentioned above, I think in much of today's civilian operation where training and experience is not nearly what it used to be that would be a flight safety issue - whole 'nuther thread! However the procedures outlined above work well and do not present the problems described in your post in terms of transfer of control, time to decision, etc. I've never done a high-speed reject except in the sim but have used these procedures (as Captain & F/O) for the entire career without issue. "Normal" is many things. When something works in aviation we are reluctant to change and when we encounter procedures that are contrary to all our "instincts" (as historically learned and relied upon), we can't see how they can possibly be as good or even work as well. Hopefully lomapaseo's questions will provide some sense of the "success" rate for rejects using either way. Perhaps fortunately, the data-set is relatively small. I'm sure there is searchable literature.

lomapaseo;
Bearing in mind comments regarding today's standards of training, experience and SOPs, I think your comment is valid that it doesn't matter who does the maneuver so long as everyone has a clear understanding of who does the reject and why. The special case may be during captain upgrade training where again a clear understanding as to who will do the reject is required.

framer;
Incapacitation procedures apply during takeoff as well as during other ops. The one or two verbal challenge-response calls (regarding speed, timings and/or power) during the takeoff are not only intended for situational awareness but as a check for incapacitation. The chances of an incapacitation occurring right at V1, forcing the takeoff are possible but very small.

Last edited by PJ2; 16th Feb 2010 at 15:59.