PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Groundschool classes or self study?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2010, 15:47
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Study for the PPL here on PPRune.............

Interesting display of “pilot personality types” here; one suggests group study another responds that is waste of time can/rather do it on my own. I flew single pilot for a decade including multi-engine IFR without an autopilot. It wasn’t until I had a year or so in the right seat of a business jet and gone through several initial/recurrent courses put on by major training centers I eventually became convinced that a crew of two does have the potential to perform better together than either one of the pilots could as individuals.

In my present flying position I wouldn’t think of flying without another pilot.

The group studies have the potential of providing you with a far superior learning environment than simply studying by yourself. Under ideal conditions you will be learning at the leadership of a motivated, enthusiastic, experienced instructor who has a commanding grasp of the material and the ability and interest to guide the students learning process.

But no, it is not mandatory to be in a classroom to gain the education necessary to pass your ppl written; you can do that on your own (unless classroom attendance is an artificial rule set by some governmental authority).

If money is a consideration, you have the time and can find a good class; then take the class. If any one of those variables are not met then study for it on your own. You can always post your questions here on PPRUNE and benefit from the resulting discussion for free…………

Respectfully,

Northbeach