PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson: Greatest Helicopter of all time
Old 16th Feb 2010, 14:26
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
The statistics don't show the true nature of the work being done, also most stats are adjusted for their total numbers.

Nubian I have done just around 120 hours in each the 22 & 44 as well as Instructing in both those machines so can honestly say YES they are crap.

I have lost 2 Pilot friends to Robbie crashes & my LAME friend once pointed out just how flimsy the sub-standard air-frame really is, hence the crash survivability is frighteningly low. I had another friend an ATP(H) & Examiner have a 44 blade de-bond in flight at around 400 hours but it was at the bottom of an auto & 'thank God' they both survived. There is at least one other fatal being investigated in Australia right now due to an in-flight break up most likely caused by yet another de-bonding (surprise, surprise) well done Frank You can be proud of Your accident to death rate, the worst in Rotory history.

I did my first 50 hours of training in a 47 till my Instructor passed away due cancer, then finished my CPL on a R22std. Not surprisingly I learnt more in the 47 because at the slower pace one is able to learn & actually absorb so hence replicate exactly the task at hand, with the R22 the Instructor is rarely game to take his hands of the end of any emergency & does a lot of tidying up albeit unconsciously for the unsuspecting student. So less REAL learning for the student.

Give me a Squirrel any day, You can really do work in that sweet baby or a 214 umfff

Last edited by Vertical Freedom; 17th Feb 2010 at 00:08.