PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatic Training in the Shoreham area
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2010, 12:40
Blues&twos

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Joelgarabedian

I used the Real Flying Company at Shoreham last year for my first experience of aerobatics in their open-cockpit Stampe - booked as a trial flight. I would thoroughly recommend them.

Victor was the instructor and the whole thing was excellent, professionally run (but very friendly). Made me feel welcome and explained what could and couldn't be done, at the briefing before the flight. We did the usual stuff, loops, rolls, stall turns and because I'd asked if we could, we did some spins too. I don't think the Stampe can do sustained inverted flight.
As is usual for a trial flight, I flew the aircraft for a while although of course, steep turns and a bit of low level flying was as close to aerobatics as I was allowed!)

If you haven't done it before, be prepared to feel a bit queasy at some point and tell the instructor straight away (for this reason it might be worth booking a 40min flight to begin with rather than going for a 60min). I (attempt to) fly a Pitts special with an aerobatics instructor friend of mine from time to time and even after probably 10 flights with him, I still get a bit queasy after about 20 minutes, but then it's a bit more full-on than a trial flight would be. Make sure you keep looking outside the cockpit!!

Warning....it's very addictive.....