PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2010, 12:04
spinwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmmm.......

flying chief ....

So were your floats armed when you had the incident in the 412? ... if so then your bad! ... If NOT then you had a technical malfunction .... and that can happen to anyone anytime eh?

Seeing as the there is a notation in the 412 RFM prohibiting intentional inflation in forward flight there is obviously knowledge that there would be some form of aerodynamic disruption if such a thing happened thus the arming only below say 60kts on finals.

The 139 does not have an Emergency manual inflation backup like the 412 has ... both inflation systems are purely electrical ... there are also no 'gear doors' to blow open as with the S 76 ... and I guess we have to trust the Test Pilots that certified the system that it is indeed safe in the event of an inadvertent inflation in flight ...

BUT in an emergency if you want the floats to work they need to be armed before you NEED THEM and according to the AW139 RFM this can be done when going 'Feet Wet' and at cruise speeds and I have no problem with this.

If your suggesting we all 'second guess' the certification authorities and do our own thing .... I think that attitude may well cause more problems than it cures ....

How about we wait and see what the investigation reveals and what if any amendments MIGHT be made to RFMs etc ....

Cheers