PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My adventure in the Top End
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2010, 11:51
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

When I was in KNX 15+ years ago (1995-1997) I waited 18 months before I got the first job, and I leap-frogged ohers. My wait time was not unusual for that period - the recent hiring boom of 2007-2009 was unlike anything this industry has seen before.

I got my job because another guy fcuked up - then I fcuked up, and another guy got a start when I left. We have all moved on into bigger, better things - despite an inauspicious start

Blackfellas

I moved north with my girlfriend (a vegetarian GP with hairy armpits) and a heap of very liberal uni-student attitudes to the blackfellas (they aren't Kooris or Murris either, by the way). I made a lot of effort to treat everyone I met the same way, regardless of colour or creed.

12 months later I returned to Sydney for a couple of weeks and had my school mates over to Mum's for a bbq and a beer, and we went through the slides and described what we had seen and learnt about the blackfellas - remember my girlfriend was a GP doing clinics in Oombi and Kalumburu and we had learnt a LOT about these people and their culture.

...anyway a couple of my mates were dating pretty young 2nd/3rd year uni students who refused to believe us, branded us racist, and spat at us that "you country rednecks are all the same!"

Everything Onetrack has written accords closely with my observations and experience. My attitudes to the blackfellas was a fair bit more tollerant and enlightened than most of my colleagues, but even with the best of intentions the cultural chasm will wear you down.

Krazy
Good luck, well done, go well!

Last edited by Horatio Leafblower; 17th Feb 2010 at 04:05. Reason: correcting late-night typos