PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwi B777 burst 12 tyres in aborted takeoff at NRT
Old 16th Feb 2010, 06:13
blah blah blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2

On the military types I flew either pilot could call "Abort, Abort". This would be in response to red lights (master warning) or control malfunctions. These were the only items that were to be aborted for (excepting of course those weird situations that cant be planned for, the cow running onto the runway, the ied going off at the end of the runway etc etc). If either pilot called "Abort, Abort" the abort was carried out immediately. PF would carry out the actions to stop the aircraft with control handed to the skipper (if he was acting as PM) at a set point as per every landing.

On the civilian types I have flown it is exactly the same situation.

Quite simply if a pilot calls the abort it is actioned immediately and any discussion can happen afterwards. I haven't operated in a company that has a skipper making a decision based on input from the crew. The closest I got to this was in the military where other crew members (in the back of the aircraft) could announce a problem they have spotted. It was then up to the pilots to decide whether to abort or not. In reality back end crew would keep quiet, quite sensibly reasoning that anything they saw that wasn't already indicating to the pilots could probably wait until cleaned up and climbing away.

How does it work in your experience where you are at V1 and a problem arises that would demand an abort? The FO spots the problem, announces it, waits for the skipper to acknowledge and then make a decision? Surely this process takes the crew past V1 and so forces the take off to continue. What could have been a safe and prudent abort (admittedly at V1 we are getting towards limits, but that doesnt mean they aren't safe) becomes you getting airborne with a problem you really don't want to be dealing with in the air. The FO cant rotate due a jammed control column, the plane is never going to get airborne, but he waits for the skipper to say its ok to stop, all the while getting faster and closer to the fence.

Im amazed that airlines are operating like this. Obviously they are though, and Im sure justifications can be made for this, but for me, hearing of this for the first time, it still sounds crazy.

Blah