PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 15th Feb 2010, 19:36
ericthewellread

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Requirements For Entry To Training

I was looking in the wrong place, as the authority for Qatar is the QCAA not the GCAA.

http://www.caa.gov.qa/images/laws/QCAR-FCL%201%20SEPT%2006.pdf

The relevant QCAA regulations are pasted below:

QCAR-FCL 1.240 -Type and Class Ratings - Requirements
(See Appendices 1 to 3 to QCAR-FCL 1.240)
(a)
General
(5)
A valid type rating contained in a licence issued by an ICAO Contacted State may be transferred to a QCAR-FCL licence, subject to the appropriate proficiency check, provided the applicant is in current flying practice and has not less than 500 hours flying experience as a pilot on that type, provided QCAR-FCL 1.250, 1.251. 1.255 or 1.260 as applicable, are met.

Appendix 1 to QCAR-FCL 1.020 & 1.050 - Minimum requirements for the issue of QCAR – FCL licence/ratings for Qatar Qualified Service Pilots
a)
An applicant for QCAR – FCL Licence/Rating shall comply with requirement as set out in the table below:
Licence sought
ATPL(A)
Required Experience
Current flying practice: 12 hours within the last 12 months
> 1500 flying hours as P1.
Meets the requirements of QCAR-FCL 1.280

Appendix 2 to QCAR-FCL 1.055- Type Rating Training Organisations for the Issue of type ratings only to pilot licence holders [or associated instructor ratings / authorisations for TRI, SFI or MCCI

REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY TO TRAINING
The TRTOs shall be responsible for ensuring that trainees meet at least the pre-requisite conditions for type rating training as set out in QCAR-FCL 1.250.

QCAR-FCL 1.250 - Type Rating, Multi-Pilot- Conditions
(See AMC FCL 1.261(d))
(See Appendix 1 to QCAR – FCL 1.261(d))
(See Appendix 1 to QCARFCL1.261 (d))
(See Appendix 1 to QCARFCL1.520 & 1.525)
(a)
Pre-requisite conditions for training: An applicant for the first type rating course for a multi- pilot aeroplane type shall:
(1)
(i)
have at least 70 hours as pilot-in-command of aeroplanes;
(ii)
have a valid multi-engine instrument rating (A);
(iii)
hold a certificate of satisfactory completion of multi-crew cooperation (MCC). If the MCC course is to be added to the type rating course (see QCAR-FCL1.261 and 1.262 and AMC FCL 1.261(d) and Appendix 1 to QCAR-FCL 1.261(d), this requirement is not applicable; and
(iv)
have met the requirements of QCAR-FCL 1.285, or
(2)
Be a student currently undergoing training on a MPL(A) integrated training course.]
(b)
Applicants having:
(1)
either a certificate of satisfactory completion of MCC in accordance with QCAR-FCL 2 and experience of more than 100 hours as a pilot of a multi-pilot helicopter, or
(2)
experience of more than 500 hours as a pilot on multi-pilot helicopter, or
(3)
experience of at least 500 hours as a pilot in multi-pilot operation in accordance with QCAR-OPS on single pilotaeroplanes QCAR/FAR 23 multi-engine aeroplanes, shall be considered to meet the requirements of MCC;
(c)
The level of knowledge assumed to be held by holders of the PPL(A) or CPL(A) and type ratings for multi-pilot aeroplanes issued under requirements other than QCAR–FCL will not be a substitute for showing compliance with the requirements of (4) above.
(d)
The issue of an additional multi-pilot type ratings requires a valid multi-engine instrument rating.

I am going to take a stab at answering my own question. My tentative answer to my question of, [does Qatar Airways require a candidate to be current prior to starting a type rating course ?] is yes, because of the QCAA regulations. Not necessarily current on type, but in current flying practice which apparently means "12 hours within the last 12 months." The only place I found where this term is defined is here:

AMC - FCL 1.020 - Credit for Military Service
b)
Current flying Status means the pilot has flown at least 12 hours in the last 12 months proceeding his/her licence application

The REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY TO TRAINING, the last item (d) "...requires a valid multi-engine instrument rating," it appears that for a multi-engine instrument rating to be valid, the pilot would have to have a current instrument proficiency check, on a multiengine airplane.

For my situation, having not flown any aircraft in 4.5 years, if I purchased 777 sim time & passed a FAA 61.58 PIC proficiency check, operation of aircraft requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember, that would take care of the valid multi-engine instrument rating. If this takes, say four hours, then I would need eight additional hours (in some aircraft) to have the minimum 12 hours within the last 12 months. The class of aircraft is not specified, so I don’t see why it could not be in a single engine Cessna.

Alternately, I could get an instrument proficiency check in a light twin, with the balance of the 12 hours in a single engine Cessna, & meet the requirements for starting a type rating course.

Yes, it would be best to get a definitive answer from QR, & I will attempt to do this via email to them, but their answer may not come, & I must make a decision soon.

Does anyone know if my plan to get current for the QR interview will work?

Ericthewellread