PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2010, 19:16
SHARPPOINT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safe Journey

I too went to Maun a 4 years ago and was unsucessful at gaining employment, yes roughing it out in a tent in a tent during thunder storms at the audi camp doing the morning rounds to the operators getting demoralised. You know when you are flogging a dead horse and it is liberating when you know its time to stop and you do.

The cards where stacked against me probably more so than you, being a light drinker, not a very sociable type of person, quite agressive, and not an a*** licker. Allied to this not being South African or from New Zealand but from the UK like yourself. All traits which do not lend themselves to gaining employment in Maun.

In retrospect it was a good experience, certainly focussed my mind when I returned back home to blighty, and felt I had done myself justice in knowing who I am rather than what you had to be to get a job, just to add I and am currently working overseas on 6 figure salary, in real money tax free.

Anyway enough about me, though it is one of my favourite subjects so the ladies tell me but they seem to like it, not to worry young Kash chin up there's a big wide world out there and something will happen when you least expect it. You have broadened your horizons and learnt some new things about yourself that will serve you well in the future even though you may not realize it at present.

You may be a few quid lighter in the pocket, but you have a myriad of memories that money will never be able to buy in a period of time that will never come to pass again. You didn't lose an arm or a leg or hurt anyone and you did as much as you could. As you can see from the response of these pages everyone respects you for giving it a go as do I.

All the best in your future endeavours.

P.S. I don't think flying a sh***ed out overloaded 206 for 2 years in uncontrolled airspace will do any favours in the UK. Take the instructing route by the time you do 2 -3 years full-time the industry will hopefully be on the way up. European carriers will prefer disciplined chap with a proven traceable and known track record from a 'nice' FTO.
SAs & NZs have their own requirements they are more in tune with what the operators in Maun are looking for in terms of hours and longevity.