PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOP design and adherence
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2010, 10:59
framer

Received 479 Likes on 129 Posts

Maybe the CRM is perceived differently based on the age of the individual.
I would say it definitely has an effect but I remember flying with Captains in their mid sixties who were total experts in CRM......I'm sure they were before CRM was invented too

Younger crews might interpret it as a right to be involved with captain's decisions
Yeah this seems to be more prevelant in my experience....guys and girls from about the last five years or so. It's a fine line I guess but in the end being a first officer is a bit of a black art and to be really good at it normally involves some innate skill I reckon. Maybe more priority needs to be given to the teaching of this. I see how they can become confused. In one sentence they are being told " If the Captain wants to do something that endangers the a/c you can use this 'emergency speak' and hey presto you have saved the day by usurping the formers authority and the company will love you for it." and in the next " The Captain is, at the end of the day, responsible for the safety of the a/c and it's pax/cargo."
Both of these things are true but the first officers need to be clear on their role....it's a critical one after all. I remember flying as a senior f/o with a brand new Captain who was finding their feet, it was kinda uncomfortable at some stages because the roles were getting blurred even when I was trying my best to maintain the correct authority gradient. The roles need to be as they are and IMO some new F/O's don't get this because they have never experienced situations where it was critical to the smooth running of an event.....how far have we drifted now?