PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK(Emirates) whats the point joining?
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2010, 10:26
NautiFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mana,
This thread seems to have turned away from the original intent, and has focused on your one question about accelerated command, and apparent question of your attitude... In an effort to get back on track and simply answer your question...
The answer is NO... there is currently nothing in place for "Accelerated Command".
Personally, I was given the big hand shake and pat on the back along with assurances I'd have a command within 12 months of being here from the recruiting folks... based upon my experience, etc. Yes, I had 11 years of command, 10,000 plus hours, and 5,000 command hours all on heavy jets before coming here...
Currently there is a REQUIREMENT for 3000 hours in type... before you are eligible to upgrade.... for me with no Boeing experience... I basically went from "only 12 months mate..." to "Sorry mate, we don't do that anymore"... and that's where we stand now...
I've talked twice now with senior mgt. about this requirement... and there is no budging on this condition... 3000 hours time in type.... trust me, if that requirement were to change, there would be a group of folks here at EK who, with tons of command experience on 74's, MD's, etc would be jumping at that position before you got your mitts on it. (But I don't expect that policy to change anytime soon)
As for coming here and doing your "penance" while awaiting a command... hey, Good Luck... it's all in the attitude you bring, and how big of a bitter pill you are willing to swallow.
This place is not Nirvana... nor is it some cr@p hole cargo carrier from deep in the Congo... But what I would surmise is that it is being "sold" as something that it once was... NOT what it has currently become... and that is , just another carrier trying to squeeze every nickel it can get away with out of the employee and run with that ball as long as they can get away with it.
There are plenty of really decent folks here... and we all pine over the good old days... and what aviation once was... now unfortunately, I don't care where you go... it's all turning to hell.... same old corporate shenanigans, etc.
If I could characterize EK to you in one way, I would describe it as a "Venus Fly Trap"... Lot's of pretty airplanes.... the smell of an early command... and then once you go to taste the fruit (flower)... well,... by that time, they have you by the "short hairs", and you just wait and get digested.
It's just like every other place... don't come here with any exceptional expectations.. the mill will wear you down until you either get fed up and leave, or you turn into a zombie and continue to live the "digested" lifestyle...
Enough "ruminating" from me... back to my hole in the ground...
NF