PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My adventure in the Top End
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2010, 07:00
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are presently about 30 pilots waiting in Kunus. Slingair are hiring 8 and are starting in the next two weeks. Alligator are looking at around the same figure and will possibly end up hiring up to 16. They are starting interviews late March.

Leos are about to hire and are doing interviews. BAS and BAV have not indicated although I believe the CP of BAV has had her hands full with a CASA audit after the Caravan engine shutdown.

There are 5 Kiwis that I know of in Kunus and they believe a certain operator does not hire Kiwis. This is not true, so i'd like to bust this myth.

I believe you'll have a 60/40 chance judging by Pilot numbers in the towns VS the jobs that will be offered.

There will be plenty of movement at the piston multi engine turboprop ranks this year so there will be good times again in the 2011 Kunus season. If you don't make it this year you will next. The last shortage was in 2006/2007 for single engine piston drivers. 5 years on 2011/2012! (we seem to work on a 5 year boom and bust cycle)

My advice is if you are doing your training this year, get it finished by years end and be ready for next year. If you miss out this year, stay in town, try and keep current somehow and you'll have a good shot the following year.

GG signing off

Oh and Krazy, a lot of guys know who you are, I'd refrain from the flying for free talk (remember how I said this industry is very small??)