PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOP design and adherence
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2010, 05:34
framer

Received 482 Likes on 130 Posts
This really did expand at a great rate into a world where we all have to be politically correct and be fluffy at all times to all concerned.
CRM doesn't mean that at all in my experience.
Where it all went horribly wrong was that the idea of Cockpit or Crew Resource Management lost sight of the last word of the description in which the Aircraft Commander/Captain actually 'managed' his resources on board the aircraft.
I don't think this is the case either....rather it provides some form of guidance as to the importance of using all your resources and mangaing them and all the while leaving the end decisions up to the Captain.
This does not mean that he has to be nice to people all of the time, he has to have the ability to get the job done with recognition of his resources and react accordingly.
No CRM class I have ever been involved in has ever suggested you need to be nice to everyone all of the time and again, stresses the importance of using all of your resources and acting appropriately.
the Captain has to do battle with company cultures which lead some of the younger troops to believe that SOP's offer the answer to everything and that 'some' repeat 'some' think they have equal voting rights on all issues at all times - often they do but not all the time !
Fair enough, I too have witnessed this and it needs resolving quickly when it occurs.
I would be interested to see if we were taught the basics of CRM differently or if we just interpreted them differently.
Framer