PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-92 to deliver UK SAR-H service
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2010, 21:19
calli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoA

Typical RoA of Stornoway S92 is 250nm with 30 mins on scene and fuel to carry out instrument approach on return - at least equivalent to Mk3 Sea King.

The S92 has many good points and a few things that need to be worked around. Despite comments on high disc loading, all tasked mountain jobs have been successfully completed and there are benefits to being able to lift more MRT troops in one go. Initial scepticism (sp?) from the MRT has largely been removed by training and liaison, though perhaps Glencoe/Lochaber teams have not had as much exposure to the 92 as the more northern teams.

Increased speed (140kts) is of course a great improvement, as is the ability to hop over the top of the mountains in airframe icing conditions (still making 135kts TAS). NVG will increase capability massively, and that will come (the sooner, the better).

Everyone seems very suspicious of the 92, but I would not swap back to the Sea King in a million years. It would probably be tedious of me to go into all the increased safety features of the 92, so I won't.